Re: [Exim] Timeouts when verifying sender

Author: Rejo Zenger
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Timeouts when verifying sender
++ 22/12/02 16:05 +0100 - Mark Bergsma:
>>What happens, I think, is that Exim tries to connect to all of the MX's
>>for the domain in the envelop sender. Right? This takes a long long
>>time, as connecting to five out of seven hosts will result in a timeout.
>>So, why exactly is Exim trying to connect to all of the MX's for that
>>domain? And, can I influence this behaviour?
>
>You have specified sender verification by doing callouts in the ACL's.
>Change that to a less dedicated verify option. See the relevant
>documentation sections (chapter 37 in the spec) for details.

Yes, I do understand that.

However, this does not answer my question. Why does Exim, if I have
"require verify = sender/callout=10s/defer_ok" test all of the MX
servers and not just stop at the first one that is accepting a
connection? I did not expect this behaviour.

And, is this behaviour a result of the addition of "callout=10s"?

Yes, I did read the documentation, but I'm not quite sure how to
interpret is, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered this list.

--
Rejo Zenger <rejo@???>
http://www.xs4all.nl/~sister