Re: [Exim] Re: Example of legit email rejected by testing on…

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: patrick-dated-1040566354.303f8f
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: Example of legit email rejected by testing on reverse IP lookup
On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 20:54, Patrick Starrenburg wrote:
> with outgoing but also incoming. I can relay out via them (without needing
> AUTH) but haven't needed to as yet. I did check out your different providers -
> the host 202-77-XXX-XX.outblaze.com (blanked out part of address) i.e. Frodo
> is your ISP you are AUTHing through? But different to your computer's ISP -
> Dishnet - address in India? Hey... just read this, you're using your HongKong
> company servers :-)

Yea. I currently telecommute from India for my employer - based in HK.
Frodo is my ancient P-III colo'd at our NOC there.

> http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2002/tc2002101_2645.htm

Yeah I do remember that one I think :)

> > I happen to know that most cable ISPs (such as roadrunner, stateside) do
> > carry out periodic sweeps of their network.
>
> Well they are ahead of the pack here :-) well at least with the cable provider
> I am with in Europe.

Several do so in Europe as well .. don't know about your provider
though.

> Anyway - seriously, I do take your point. It is an issue which is getting worse
> and unfortunately being exacerbated by spammers etc.

Yup.

> Say, also saw your info on the MAPS DUL site - back in Sendmail days?

I have some howtos on how to relay mail through an ISP smarthost -
http://www.hserus.net/dlhowto.html - that is linked off the MAPS DUL
site, as an alternative way to get mail out, because the DUL and similar
lists are not exactly convenient for those who want to run mailservers
on dynamic IPs.

    srs