[Exim] Re: Example of legit email rejected by testing on rev…

Author: Patrick Starrenburg
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: Example of legit email rejected by testing on reverse IP lookup
Suresh Ramasubramanian <mallet@???> writes:

> There is, unfortunately, no way at all to tell if a particular dynamic
> IP has a well configured debian machine or an unpatched win NT machine
> on it at any given time.

Or if an ISP has competent staff and will not lose mail, but granted,
statistically they are more likely to be better run!

> That presupposes you cannot find someone more clueful than your ISP (if
> the ISP is clueless about mail) to provide SMTP AUTH. It is trivial to
> configure Exim to AUTH as a client to a smarthost (see my headers).

Perhaps better said as not so much clueless as careingless :-) and not just WRT
with outgoing but also incoming. I can relay out via them (without needing
AUTH) but haven't needed to as yet. I did check out your different providers -
the host 202-77-XXX-XX.outblaze.com (blanked out part of address) i.e. Frodo
is your ISP you are AUTHing through? But different to your computer's ISP -
Dishnet - address in India? Hey... just read this, you're using your HongKong
company servers :-)

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2002/tc2002101_2645.htm

> I happen to know that most cable ISPs (such as roadrunner, stateside) do
> carry out periodic sweeps of their network.

Well they are ahead of the pack here :-) well at least with the cable provider
I am with in Europe.

> More than likely the DHCP assigned IP is bound to something like your
> ethernet card's MAC address.

Correct - tied to specific network card supplied by ISP, which is also not
iron-clad as MAC addresses can be spoofed.

Anyway - seriously, I do take your point. It is an issue which is getting worse
and unfortunately being exacerbated by spammers etc.

Say, also saw your info on the MAPS DUL site - back in Sendmail days?

Patrick