[Exim] Example of legit email rejected by testing on reverse…

Author: James P. Roberts
To: exim-users, stunnel-users
Subject: [Exim] Example of legit email rejected by testing on reverse IP lookup
The following is the response from ipal.net to an ordinary email sent
from punsterproductions.com (my own server); I include the headers from
the message as well, for completeness. It was obviously rejected
because the admin at mx0.ipal.net implemented a "reverse DNS" check, and
the resulting hostname did not match. I've been making the point for
some time that this is not a great idea, as one will block legitimate
email, because there are so many people who are STUCK, without any
recourse, with ISPs that refuse to properly delegate IP address blocks
(they instead provide "dummy" host names for reverse lookups). My own
so-called "business" DSL service (from Covad, the only DSL provider in
my area) is such a case. Until I can afford a T1 line from a "real"
ISP, I am stuck with this situation. (Don't think I haven't tried to
explain this to Covad. I might as well beat my head on a brick wall.)

All I can do is ask MTA admins to not reject email just because the
reverse DNS hostname doesn't match. In a lot of perfectly legitimate
cases, it will not match. There are plenty of other (better) ways to
block spam, without blocking legitimate email traffic.

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.

*** begin sample ***

  phil-stunnel-users@???
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT
TO:<phil-stunnel-users@???>:
    host mx0.ipal.net [209.102.192.90]: 550