Re: [Exim] Example of legit email rejected by testing on rev…

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Example of legit email rejected by testing on reverse IP lookup
On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 10:32:01AM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 08:24, James P. Roberts wrote:
> > All I can do is ask MTA admins to not reject email just because the
> > reverse DNS hostname doesn't match. In a lot of perfectly legitimate

If the reverse DNS hostname really didn't match, you'd tend to see all
sorts of other services failing too. I personally fail on mismatched
hostnames, and I think this is a reasonably good thing to do. I can almost
always get around it.

> > cases, it will not match. There are plenty of other (better) ways to
> > block spam, without blocking legitimate email traffic.
> It is not a match on reverse dns mismatch.

I would certainly agree with Suresh's interpretation below. I don't accept
mail from business DSL or personal DSL directly where possible, and I find
it hard to understand why people (particularly ones who post to this list,
and hence should have an understanding of mail server configuration) are
incapable of reading bounces.

> It means - you are in a customer IP block, most likely dynamic IPs.
> So, he is asking you to set up your exim to smarthost through your
> provider's mailserver.
> > <h-64-105-159-234.PHLAPAFG.covad.net[64.105.159.234]>:
> >     Client host rejected: mail from domains with generic/dialup/DHCP
> > addresses is not accepted - contact your ISP for support

Yes, indeed.

Smarthost through your provider.

MBM