Re: [Exim] Example of legit email rejected by testing on rev…

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Example of legit email rejected by testing on reverse IP lookup
On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 16:13, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:

> > It means - you are in a customer IP block, most likely dynamic IPs.
> > So, he is asking you to set up your exim to smarthost through your
> > provider's mailserver.
> > > <h-64-105-159-234.PHLAPAFG.covad.net[64.105.159.234]>:
> > >     Client host rejected: mail from domains with generic/dialup/DHCP
> > > addresses is not accepted - contact your ISP for support

> Yes, indeed.
>
> Smarthost through your provider.

As long as the IP is static I have no problems with accepting mail from
that netblock in general (except in cases where there is more than a few
spam sources from a single /24 of such IPs).

Dynamic IPs on the other hand deserve to be blocked wholesale. Ditto
with NAT gateways like some idiot cablemodem providers run (allotting
their users RFC1918 addresses and NATting all outbound traffic through
one or more IPs).

    srs