Re: [Exim] local_scan() addition: views sought

Author: Tabor J. Wells
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] local_scan() addition: views sought
On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 05:39:24PM -0800,
Marc MERLIN <marc_news@???> is thought to have said:

> Since I am the one who requested the "bogus" change, let me explain.
>
> If I return a 250 but toss the message to /dev/null, this is very evil.
> The least I can do is return a message saying so to help debugging if the
> message ever has to be traced.
> It also helps when you talk to the smtp server yourself for debugging.

Hmm. I guess I don't see this. If you return "250 OK id=18J6Z4-0001er-00"
to the remote client and you later bit bucket the message, then
presumably you have a log entry which says that dropped that message
for policy reasons and whatever other data you want associated with that
removal (spam assassin score, etc).

If a remote site then comes back to you and says "Hey where'd that
message go?" you still can debug it for as long as you keep your logs
around.

What am I missing?

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality