Re: [Exim] local_scan() addition: views sought

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: Philip Hazel, Nico Erfurth
CC: exim-users, Clive Goodhead
Subject: Re: [Exim] local_scan() addition: views sought
On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 10:57:44AM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> The returned string may not contain any newlines for the success case.
> At the moment, newlines in the string are forced to become spaces. It
> occurs to me that I could use newline as a separator in this string:
>
> All characters before the first newline are saved in local_scan_data;
> All characters after the first newline (including any more newlines)
> become part of the 250 response.
>
> This is still an incompatible change, but a smaller one.

Why not parse return_text just like you would for temp or permreject?

SA-Exim already does this:
*return_text=string_sprintf("Message is spam (score: %s)\nand is being fed
to the bit bucket\n(please don't feed it too much, it might get fat)",
spamstatus);
return LOCAL_SCAN_ACCEPT;

If you return the value of return_text if it's non NULL, we should be all
set. No API change required.

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 03:01:05PM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > If, however, we can foresee a
> > multi-line (3 plus) return string,
>
> Ah, but the SMTP response can itself be multi-line in theory...

Right. I even use that :-)

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:30:31PM +0100, Nico Erfurth wrote:
> > 250 Accepted, SA score is 4.0, below threshold or 8.0
> > or
> > 250 This is confirmed spam, feeding to the bit bucket
> >
> >Who is going to read that?
>
> Noone ;)
>
> I think this request is/was bogus. And the feature is really not needed
> at all. Noone is interested in the message that comes with a success
> return code.

Since I am the one who requested the "bogus" change, let me explain.

If I return a 250 but toss the message to /dev/null, this is very evil.
The least I can do is return a message saying so to help debugging if the
message ever has to be traced.
It also helps when you talk to the smtp server yourself for debugging.

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key