Re: [Exim] local_scan() addition: views sought

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Clive Goodhead
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] local_scan() addition: views sought
On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Clive Goodhead wrote:

> I believe strongly that making a change to the local_scan() API at
> this
> stage would not be a good idea because, as you state, existing
> functions
> would stop working.

Quite.

> I'm not sure how many uses of the returned string have been
> requested
> (personally I am happy as it is).

There's only been the one request, and I'm not entirely sure what the
purpose was, because the text sent in the 250 message is almost
certainly never shown to the end user. However, some MTAs - e.g. Exim -
can be made to log it, so perhaps the idea was to be able to get
messages such as "I've accepted your message, but it looks dodgy to me
because..." into the sending MTA's log.

> If, however, we can foresee a
> multi-line (3 plus) return string,

Ah, but the SMTP response can itself be multi-line in theory...

I'm not sure I'm convinced that I actually want to make any change at
all yet. This discussion is not encouraging me. :-)