Re: [Exim] Option to limit lifetime of Exim son processes?

Author: Ralf G. R. Bergs
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] Option to limit lifetime of Exim son processes?
On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:18:47 +0000 (GMT), Philip Hazel wrote:

[...]
>> Anyway, to make a long story short, I thought "smtp_receive_timeout = 1m"
>> might help, but it didn't. :-(
>
>No, that will bite only when the remote host doesn't answer quickly
>enough.

In fact this is *exactly* what I was suspecting -- but obviously (since the
above statement didn't help) the problem is somewhere else.

>        It suggests that indeed SpamAssassin is where the delay is.

Thought so. :-(

>> Is there any option (I don't think so) that would allow me to set a maximum
>> lifetime for Exim son processes? And if processes haven't died after that

time
>> Exim would automatically kill them? Do you think that such an option would

be
>> useful in case it's not already there?
>
>If you are calling SA via the local_scan() function, there is a

This is exactly how I'm calling SA.

>local_scan_timeout option, whose default is 5 minutes. However, since
>you are seeing 30m delays, it can't be that (unless you are using a
>version of Exim earlier than 4.03, because that's when
>local_scan_timeout was introduced).

No, I'm using 4.10 under Debian/GNU Linux.

Still any ideas how to debug the problem? Especially since "kill -USR1 <pid>"
isn't very helpful either in these cases:

    2002-11-19 13:34:36 29832 handling incoming connection from my.mailhub.de
        [aaa.bbb.c.dd]:51389

Thanks,

Ralf

--