Re: [Exim] Option to limit lifetime of Exim son processes?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ralf G. R. Bergs
CC: exim-users ML
Subject: Re: [Exim] Option to limit lifetime of Exim son processes?
On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:

> The only thing I can think of what could be going wrong is that the calls to
> SpamAssassin during SMTP time take that long. I've already removed the Razor
> calls from SpamAssassin because I suspected them and I don't see great benefit
> from Razor (V1), but this didn't help. My DNS system is "sane," i.e. DNS calls
> don't take more than a fraction of a second.
>
> Anyway, to make a long story short, I thought "smtp_receive_timeout = 1m"
> might help, but it didn't. :-(

No, that will bite only when the remote host doesn't answer quickly
enough. It suggests that indeed SpamAssassin is where the delay is.

> Is there any option (I don't think so) that would allow me to set a maximum
> lifetime for Exim son processes? And if processes haven't died after that time
> Exim would automatically kill them? Do you think that such an option would be
> useful in case it's not already there?

If you are calling SA via the local_scan() function, there is a
local_scan_timeout option, whose default is 5 minutes. However, since
you are seeing 30m delays, it can't be that (unless you are using a
version of Exim earlier than 4.03, because that's when
local_scan_timeout was introduced).