Re: domain name for home/dialup machines ? was Re: [Exim] ca…

Author: Tony Finch
To: Suresh Ramasubramanian
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: Re: [Exim] can't configure exim (FQDN hostname doesn't match)
Subject: Re: domain name for home/dialup machines ? was Re: [Exim] can't configure exim (FQDN hostname doesn't match)
On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 10:57:22PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> Sorry if I sound dense, but given that example.com is not routable over the
> 'net, where does the question of uniqueness of invented names come into the
> picture?

Since example.com is just a domain name, routing is irrelevant. In fact
the IP address that example.com points to is valid -- it isn't running a
mail server though. If you choose a name under example.com for internal
use, and that name leaks to the outside world (e.g. in Received: headers)
then confusion may arise during debugging etc. if someone else happens
to choose the same name. It isn't a serious problem; it's more a matter
of etiquette.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/
North Foreland to Selsey Bill. Sea State: slight to moderate.