Re: domain name for home/dialup machines ? was Re: [Exim] ca…

Author: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
To: Suresh Ramasubramanian
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: domain name for home/dialup machines ? was Re: [Exim] can't configure exim (FQDN hostname doesn't match)
On 27 Oct 2002, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> > I'd be interested in suggestions for a good way of choosing a domainname
> > for a dialup host.

> Use anything you want (ideally *.example.com)

(Slaps forehead). Of course. I wanted a name to go with my RFC1918 IP
address; and something.example.com is clearly the solution.
Thanks.

> Given something as semi-permanent as a dialup, using dynamic DNS to
> receive mail on it is not a good idea maybe. Perhaps it is a better
> idea on long lease DHCP (such as ADSL and cablemodem pools).

Agreed. I didn't really want the MTA to listen to the internet;
it is just that unix systems assume one is running to handle system
reports, etc.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna