Re: domain name for home/dialup machines ? was Re: [Exim] ca…

Author: David
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: domain name for home/dialup machines ? was Re: [Exim] can't configure exim (FQDN hostname doesn't match)
On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 10:02:21AM +0000, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

> One of the reasons I resisted running an MTA on my home machine for
> several years was that it isn't clear what domain name to use for
> a dialup machine.
> Each time I dial in I am given an IP name and address by my ISP,
> but these may not be present when I start the exim daemon;
> they will be reused by another user when I disconnect;
> I may get a different one when I reconnect; and
> username@mymachine is not the same as username@???...
> or username@isp... so the ISP provided hostname is a bad choice of
> domainname for my MTA.
>
> I'd be interested in suggestions for a good way of choosing a domainname
> for a dialup host.
> Since I'm happy to use my ISPs mail service, I can use header rewriting to
> ensure that my domainname doesn't appear in the headers (except where it
> wont hurt and may be useful information, in places like msg-ids and helo
> logging) but I still need a domain name for exim to run.

Maybe I can help:
In my /etc/exim/exim.conf, I have:

Of course, in my ROUTERS section, I have my smarthost defined:
# Send all mail to a smarthost

smarthost:
driver = domainlist
transport = remote_smtp
route_list = "* mail.duo-county.com bydns_a"

Then in my REWRITE configuration, I have:
#                      REWRITE CONFIGURATION                         #

# There are no rewriting specifications in this default configuration
# file.

# This rewriting rule is particularly useful for dialup users who
# don't have their own domain, but could be useful for anyone.
# It looks up the real address of all local users in a file

#*@localhost.localdomain    ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
#                                                {$value}fail} frFs

dlb@???    dbree@???    Ffrs

Note that in the above, since I have only one user, I have commented out
the file lookup function and simply have the single substitution. If
you have more than one user, or email address, you probably should use
the file (/etc/email-addresses). There are (commented-out) examples of
how they should be entered.

Of course, you'll have to use fetchmail to retrieve your mail from the
server.. If you don't have this set up, do you have a program called
'fetchmailconf' ? This can set up your fetcmail for you, but my
~/.fetchmailrc looks like this:

# Configuration created Fri Aug 23 22:33:22 2002 by fetchmailconf
set postmaster "dlb"
set bouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
poll mail.duo-county.com with proto POP3
       user 'dbree' there with password secret is dlb here

I then run fetchmail from the command line. If you are using something
else such as Kmail now, ( didn't look at your header before beginning
this reply), you can first run the command 'fetchmail -k' to retrieve
your mails, but not delete them from the server, and then get your mail
with whatever you have been using and check to see that none were lost.