[Exim] multiple messages on a single connection

Author: Mike Bethune
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] multiple messages on a single connection
( see http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.00/doc/html/spec_29.html)

Does anyone know if it's specified in some rfc that the remote server should support this?

What I found with one particular server is that after completing the first message, if I still had the connection open and tried sending another MAIL, it would disconnect me. I tried the same sequence with other mail servers and they work, which is no surprise since I have been running this exim server for a long time without setting batch_max in the smtp transport (default 500).

I had to create a separate router and transport for this one mail server so that I could set batch_max to 1. Now it works.

Thanks,
Mike