Re: [Exim] multiple messages on a single connection

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] multiple messages on a single connection
On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 12:47:30PM -0700, Mike Bethune wrote:
#insert <line-wrap.rant.h>
> Does anyone know if it's specified in some rfc that the remote server
> should support this?

Yes, it's been specified since the dawn of time (well, around 1980 anyway) in
both RFC821 and RFC2821 that not only must multiple RCPT TO: commands be
allowed in a single mail transaction, but also that RSET should completely
reset the server's state, as if the connection was fresh (there is a bit of
an ambiguity over whether you should send another HELO/EHLO after a RSET).

> What I found with one particular server is that after completing the first
> message, if I still had the connection open and tried sending another
> MAIL, it would disconnect me. I tried the same sequence with other mail

You're not strictly allowed to do some transaction which goes
MAIL FROM:<...>
RCPT TO:<....>
DATA
.
MAIL FROM:<....>

without a RSET after the final '.'. However disconnecting rather than
giving error messages is broken behaviour on the remote MTA, and is used
on at least one "anti-spam" system I've seen.

> servers and they work, which is no surprise since I have been running

Right.

MBM