Re: [Exim] Way to eliminate routing in queue runners?

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: Dean Brooks
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Way to eliminate routing in queue runners?
On (2002/10/24 13:23), Dean Brooks wrote:

> Is there a way to preserve the initial routing information and only
> have the queue runners reattempt the transport delivery?

I guess you could get sneaky.

Find the router whose transport defers the messages in the first place.
Have it use pass_router to hand over to a queryprogram router that runs
some external command that writes the undeliverable localpart and the
time to persistent storage (e.g. a database).

Now adjust the first router (the one deferring messages) with a
condition that queries persistent storage and defers immediately if the
timeout hasn't been reached for the undeliverable localpart.

I've never had to do this myself, but reading over my own text, it
certainly _sounds_ like it'd work. :-)

That said, solutions as complex as this are usually missing the root
cause of the problem. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.