[Exim] Way to eliminate routing in queue runners?

Author: Dean Brooks
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Way to eliminate routing in queue runners?
Hi,

Running Exim 4.10 under Solaris 7.

I know this may seem like an odd question, but I am curious if there
is a way to store routing information if a message transport defers
for later delivery.

Specifically, we have a lot of local deliveries that get deferred
by the appendfile transport for being over quota. Sometimes we
have thousands and thousands on the queue.

The problem is that the queue-runners are rerouting *every* single
message, even if its the same user over and over. Not only that, but
it reroutes every single message *before* it can even tell if the
retry time has been reached. This appears to be the cause of most
of our CPU load on our Exim mail servers.

Is there a way to preserve the initial routing information and only
have the queue runners reattempt the transport delivery?

I realize the pitfalls of this: .forward files and other routing items
that may have changed between the initial delivery attempt and the
final delivery attempt will be lost, which could be confusing to the user.
However, I'm in a situation where the CPU/disk load is a much more
grave concern and we're willing to take the risk.

Is it normal to reroute every single message on a queue run, even if
thousands of the messages are to the same person, just to find out
if the retry time is reached?

I appreciate any insight into this. I scoured the spec.txt for hours
and couldn't find anything specific.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???