Re: [Exim] Way to eliminate routing in queue runners?

Author: Dean Brooks
To: Nico Erfurth
CC: Dean Brooks, exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] Way to eliminate routing in queue runners?
> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Dean Brooks wrote:
>
> > I know this may seem like an odd question, but I am curious if there
> > is a way to store routing information if a message transport defers
> > for later delivery.
>
> AFAIK not.
>
> The queued messages should be skipped if the retry time is not reached
> yet, unless you have some configuration problem.

It appears that Exim actually goes through a full routing sequence
of queued message before it can determine if the retry time has been
reached (for local deliveries anyway). This means that all routers
are tested in sequence before the retry database is ever even checked.

> > I realize the pitfalls of this: .forward files and other routing items
> > that may have changed between the initial delivery attempt and the
> > final delivery attempt will be lost, which could be confusing to the user.
>
> That's why exim does not save the routing informations, i.e postfix saves
> them, and if you had some problems with your config, or something like
> this, the mail is "lost" in the queue, and will be bounced later.

Indeed, it's a very elegant way to do it. It's also expensive.

> Like i said before, exim should NOT try to route them, if the retry time
> is not reached...

It does try and route them before checking retry times, though...

> Another way to reduce the load would be to set special retry rules for
> quota-errors
> *     quota         F,4h,30m; G,24h,1h,1.2; F,7d,12h

Yeah, we already have that in our config, and making it more restrictive
would be too severe on our users.

Thanks,

Dean Brooks
dean@???