RE: [Exim] Problem running exim after compiling with mysql s…

Author: Jason Lixfeld
To: masta
CC: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Problem running exim after compiling with mysql support
> > [root@industry exim-4.10]#
>
> At least you tell us (somehow) your exim version....

Oops, my apologies.

> > If I run exim against strings, the library shows up, so I'm
> really not
> > sure what else to check.
> >
> > It wouldn't be something with the mysql setup, would it?
> Running mysql
> > 4.0.4-beta and have tried with and without the mysql
> configure option
> > --with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static
>
> As i don't know what system you have (Linux,BSD,
> Solaris,Coffeemaker?) i
> can just suggest what i would do with linux.

Again, I apologize. Redhat 7.1 kernel 2.4.17

> Check your /etc/ld.so.conf if it includes
> /services/db/mysql/lib/mysql,
> if not, include it and run ldconfig.

That was infact the problem. It's funny, I remember now doing that for
a previous mysql installation but didn't remember to do it this time.
Thank you very much!

> Btw, is there any reason for choosing /services?

It's actually a legacy habit from an old job. We had a "Server
Standards" document which defined installation methods for all servers.
Unix boxen followed a convention where any customer facing service would
be in a separate root directory/sub directory heierarchy.

Basically /serices/<type>/
                 /<service>
                        /lib
                        /include
                   /conf
                 /content
                 /var

Ie:

/services/mail/exim/bin
/services/mail/conf/exim.conf
/services/mail/var/log/exim_mainlog.log
/services/db/mysql/lib/mysql
/services/db/mysql/include/mysql
/services/db/content/dbase
/services/db/mysql/bin/mysql

This allowed us to know exactly where everything on the system would be,
incase we needed to transplant it over to another box we wouldn't have
to go searching for libraries, etc -- just pickup and replace one
directory and a kernel, if needed.

Like I said, it's a legacy force of habit that I haven't had any reason
to kick because it's useful still :)