Re: [Exim] Timezone Problems

Author: Kamalan Govender
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Timezone Problems

Tony Earnshaw wrote:

>søn, 2002-10-13 kl. 12:02 skrev Kamalan Govender:
>

>>I am using Solaris 8 (02/02) and Exim 4.10
>>Location South Africa
>>Timezone = GMT+2
>>

>>I has read the documentation. I understand that I can set my timezone
>>from two places:
>>At build-time by adding TIMEZONE_DEFAULT in Local/Makefile
>>and at run-time by adding timezone in the configure file.
>>

>Me: Exim 4.10-snapshot.
>
>I never set timezone in anything to do with Exim. 'exim -bP | grep
>timezone' gives: 'timezone ='.
>
>But, 'telnet localhost 25' gives the same time as I get with 'date',
>including the GMT Offset of 2 hours for Holland (actually Norway, since
>my system thinks it's in Norway, the offset is the same anyway).
>
>I run strace (truss for you): 'strace telnet localhost 25' and see that
>exim runs the locale opens, plus gettimeofday. So that's how it gets its
>date, time and GMT offset..
>
>Best,
>
>Tony
>

>--
>
>Tony Earnshaw
>
>"There are many people who can't face the truth ... If you rob a
>normal person of life's lies, at the same time you'll be robbing
>him of his happiness."
>
>>From Henrik Ibsen's "Vildanden", "The wild Duck."
>
>e-post:        tonni@???
>www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl

>--

exim -bP |grep timezone gives:
timezone = GMT+2

telnet lcoalhost gives:
220 marcus.wits.ac.za ESMTP Exim 4.10 Mon, 14 Oct 2002 08:25:08 -0200

date on the system gives:
Mon Oct 14 08:25:31 GMT 2002

So it gives the right time, but the wrong offset (-0200). When a users
gets mail from the server, his mail programs show the mail a 4 hours ahead.

Kamalan Govender
Computer and Network Services
University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
Postal Address: Private Bag 3, WITS, 2050, South Africa
Telephone: +27-(0)11-717-1671
Fax:       +27-(0)11-339-1225
Web-site:  www.wits.ac.za

Disclaimer: The views in this email do not necessarily represent
            those of the University of the Witwatersrand