Re: [Exim] Timezone Problems

Author: Kamalan Govender
To: exim-users, Philip Hazel
Subject: Re: [Exim] Timezone Problems

Philip Hazel wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Kamalan Govender wrote:
>

>>I have read the docs, and it says"This is appropriate behaviour for
>>obtaining wall-clock time on some, but unfortunately not all, operating
>>systems"
>>Is Solaris 8 02/02 one of these systems?
>>

>That is referring to unsetting the TZ variable, in order to get
>wallclock time. For Solaris 7, the answer is "yes". This is on a Solaris
>8 system:
>
>$ echo $TZ
>GB
>$ date
>Mon Oct 14 10:31:37 BST 2002          <= this is my current wallclock
>$ (TZ=; date)
>Mon Oct 14 10:31:50 BST 2002
>$ (TZ=GMT; date)
>Mon Oct 14 09:31:56 GMT 2002          <= this is correct GMT
>$ (TZ=GMT+2; date)
>Mon Oct 14 07:33:05 GMT 2002
>$ (TZ=GMT-2; date)
>Mon Oct 14 11:33:19 GMT 2002

>That suggests to me that Sun have got their naming conventions
>"backwards", but it is easy to get confused by these timezone things,
>so maybe I'm just confused.
>
>--
>Philip Hazel            University of Cambridge Computing Service,
>ph10@???      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.

>--

Sorry, losing you here. When you telnet locahost 25 on a system, is the
last field the GMT off set?
When I telnet localhost 25 I get:
220 marcus.wits.ac.za ESMTP Exim 4.10 Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:43:46 -0200

Which I read as GMT-2. The second last field, 12:44:46 is the right
wall-clock time.

Here is a header from mail sent to a user(myself):