Re: [Exim] exim 4.10-1 pid issue

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: James P. Roberts
CC: Zander, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim 4.10-1 pid issue
fre, 2002-10-11 kl. 21:42 skrev James P. Roberts:

> > > Cheers for that, it now works! :o) 1001 didn't show up in either of the
> > > files when I greped through them but the chown sorted it.
> > Well, it would do.

> > And what UID and GID *names* do you have for "1001" on the files in
> > those directories?
> > "None, actually. Just the numbers."

> Technically, only the numbers are important. Afterall, the system converts the names to numbers before actually doing anything with
> them anyway. And since it worked, then we know that was, indeed, the problem. He can certainly assign user and group names to
> those UID and GID numbers now, at his convenience. Meanwhile, things are already working for him.

There are "right" ways of doing things in Unix, and "wrong" ways.

Yours is the "wrong" way.

The "right" way is to add the Exim user and group to the Exim config
file (as I originally suggested), such that UID/GID mappings are kept
constant (there is already an Exim user and an Exim group in /etc/passwd
and /etc/group.

Using the "wrong" way, you could map Exim users and groups to an
infinite number of UID/GID numbers, if you felt so inclined, which would
be "A Bad Thing."

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

"There are many people who can't face the truth ... If you rob a
normal person of life's lies, at the same time you'll be robbing
him of his happiness."

e-post:        tonni@???
www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl