Re: [Exim] OpenPGP signatures on Exim releases

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Jeffrey C. Ollie, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] OpenPGP signatures on Exim releases
On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 09:25:42AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > I don't think that PGP signing software distributions is "over the top",
> > not anymore anyway. Just witness the recent OpenSSH debacle. Really,
> > once Philip gets set up and comfortable using gpg (or whatever) it will
> > only take a few minutes each time he creates a release, plus a little
> > time here and there maintaining his keys.
>
> I'm confused. What is the difference between PGP and GPG? This thread is
> using both of them...

PGP is the old original program. OpenPGP is the standard, governed by
RFC 2440. OpenPGP determines which two way cyphers you can use and which
public-private key algorithms you can use and you have to support to be
OpenPGP compliant.

GPG is a GNU implementation of the OpenPGP standard, and the original PGP
program is also OpenPGP compliant.

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key