Re: [Exim] Limiting local delivery processes

Author: Tabor J. Wells
To: Clive McDowell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Limiting local delivery processes
On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 04:55:07PM +0100,
Clive McDowell <C.McDowell@???> is thought to have said:

> we're running Exim 3.35 on a Solaris 8 sparc platform. Users mailboxes are
> the trad. unix in /var/mail. This partition is proving to be a bit of a
> disk bottle-neck and there are times at high load when exim local appendfile
> processes start building up and freezing. I have to shutdown IMAP client
> access to give them a chance to clear. Until I can do something by way of
> upgrading hardware is there any way of restricting the number of concurrent
> processes delivering to users' inboxes?

[1 enormous line wrapped]

Set Exim to only queue inbound mail. Fire up an appropriate number of queue
runners to handle the local deliveriesi where appropriate is whatever gets
the job done without saturating your disk i/o.

Tabor

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality