Re: [Exim] Sanity Check - Mailer-Daemon

Author: Odhiambo Washington
To: Greg Ward
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Sanity Check - Mailer-Daemon
* Greg Ward <gward@???> [20021008 19:02]: wrote:
> On 08 October 2002, Odhiambo G. Washington said:
> > I have a disturbing question and a sanity check for my mind will do.
> > Maybe even some flaming! for some novice-ish questions.
> >
> > Ideally, what should happen when an e-mail is sent to Mailer-Daemon?
>
> It should go to the same person/people who receive postmaster mail for
> that domain. This should be done in your alias file:
>
>   postmaster: joe, bob, tim    # assuming those are the local sysadmins
>   root: postmaster
>   mailer-daemon: postmaster
>   exim: postmaster

Hello Greg,

That is fine in my setup. I think then that I have a different problem, especially
with the system_filter. Ideally, is it sane to set

system_filter_user = exim

???

> Depends how it accepts the message. Is this via SMTP? SMTP-over-stdin
> (exim -bs)? Or a local message? In the latter two cases, I believe
> Exim will run as the person who ran "exim -bs" or "exim <recip>" or
> whatever. (Oh wait: it needs to write the message into the spool
> directory, in which case it will need to be $exim_user. So I suspect it
> will be root briefly, and then setuid() to $exim_user.)

I was thinking about a user submitting an e-mail in the ordinary way, via
an MUA.

Pls allow me to /dev/null the other content since they were clear.

If I do not setup system_filter_user = exim, then exim will run it as root, no?
And root is in the never_users list,so exim will write this to the paniclog.
I've seen it before, leading to this setting. However, I am not sure how this
affects the overall handling of filtered mail. In many cases, I (postmaster) have
rcvd the e-mail that is generated as follows

1. Sender A (some virus I guess) -> .exe file to userxx@mydomain
2. system_filter rejects and send the error mssg back (to some maybe non-existent address I think)
3. Remote server rejects the err mssg (because of possibly non-existent address still)
4. Rejection is sent to Mailer-Daemon/exim at mydomain.

I get the error mssg because postmaster, mailer-daemon == me

That is where my sanity issues are coming from.

I still cannot see clearly how to deal with this.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington   <wash@???>  "The box said 'Requires
Wananchi Online Ltd.  www.wananchi.com      Windows 95, NT, or better,'

Ban the bomb. Save the world for conventional warfare.