Re: [Exim] host_accept_relay

Author: Glen Mehn
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] host_accept_relay
Brian Auty wrote:

> The documentation left me wondering a little more than it should have.
> Maybe I read the wrong parts.
>
> As for host accept relay, I understand that this is for relaying users
> mail from in our office and for those on the road. I just thought it
> might have something to do with my problem. However, the main issue is
> routing to the machine and I'm wondering if I have to do something with
> my DNS server.
>
> I've contacted our ISP and they say that port 25 is not blocked. I have
> tested this and that is correct.
>
> My public IP begins with 209.115.., but internally the machine IP is
> 192.168... - I'm assuming that our public IP's do not go through our
> firewall and the the IP translation is done entirely by the switch.
> This means that the only DNS I need to worry about is the one at the ISP.
>
> I've checked the error logs and they don't say much. I have 6 frozen
> messages, presumably they are in the queue so they outgoing problems. I
> can send mail directly from the machine out, using Squirrelmail. I can
> telnet to port 25 and run through the commands manually and the mail is
> delivered.

Brian:

you'll need either an external IP address or a solution by which you get
your mail onto your internal server with fetchmail or something similar.
You could also port-forward port 25 to your internal server. You'll also
need an A record, and an MX record in order to route mail to your system.

I *highly* suggest that you pick up the exim book, or a book on internet
email. (Philip has got an excellent introduction to internet email in
the book. I'm kind of guessing from your posts that there may be some
groundwork for you to explain your problem-- or to see the problem with
your architecture.

Regards,

Glen Mehn