Re: [Exim] Newbie Setup Question

Author: David
To: jp
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Newbie Setup Question
At 21:47 02/10/2002 -0500, jp@??? wrote:

> Ok. I installed exim on a FreeSCO distribution (www.freescosoft.org).

> I went to the exim website, and am having a difficult time finding
> anything like a setup guide.

> Basically I am trying to get rid of the need to pay for a web host. I
> already have the web server up and running, and I want to setup exim to
> act as a email server that accepts and distributes incoming mail at my
> domain. It doesn't really even need to handle out going. Compared to
> what some of the documentation looks like, I think what I am trying to
> do should be fairly simple, correct me if I am wrong.

My Exim package for freesco is version 3.36 at the moment, so make sure
when do you look over the site you are looking at the correct section;
however what you are asking has basically been covered on the Freesco
message boards a lot, and it would probably be helpful for you to read
some of the exim posts over there (http://forums.freesco.org). Possibly
your question is better placed over there since most "exim on freesco"
questions end up being more freesco specific than exim specific (I know
because I tend to answer them all ;)

Briefly, to allow exim to accept incoming mail from the internet, on
Freesco you have to edit /rc/rcuser/rc_exim and comment out the firewall
line then restart the firewall with rc_masq restart

Next you want to make sure that the domain(s) you will be using for email
are in your configuration file under the local_domains option. Do this by
editing /mnt/router/packages/exim/configure reading the comments
(especially the freesco specific comments, they are their to make things
easier) there may be a couple of other things you want to change if you
haven't already, then you can restart exim with rc_exim restart

Assuming that your ISP isn't blocking port 25, and your DNS is set up
correctly you should be pretty much up and running at this point. So you
should run an open relay test. This would serve to check that it is
possible to connect to the exim running on your freesco box, as well as
making sure you didn't leave yourself open by changing something in the
configuration which was best left alone.

You can find several online open relay checkers by searching google I'd
suggest the one at http://www.abuse.net/relay.html for a quick test, and I
believe that the one at http://www.ordb.org/submit/ is a little more in
depth.

Finally, exim will deliver local mail to users on your freesco box, so you
may need to add a couple to create some mailboxes. You will also probably
want to install the teapop and/or courier-imap package(s) to allow people
on your lan to read those mailboxes.

Hope that helps,

DG