RE: [Exim] Wish list (I think) regarding sender verify callo…

Author: Dave C.
To: Steve Drees
CC: Alan J. Flavell, Exim users list
Subject: RE: [Exim] Wish list (I think) regarding sender verify callout.
On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Steve Drees wrote:

> > The problem is they are already running their server. And RFC's are not
> > actually enforcable as law.
>
> They are on servers I administer. You don't want to play by the accepted
> rules of the internet don't play in my small corner of it. If more admins
> took this attitude the incompetent admins would HAVE to change. Or not
> communicate, their choice.

I repeat - I am not trying to dictate what you do on servers you own. My
servers properly accept MAIL FROM:<>, and I'd have a screaming fit if
any of the bosses here wanted us to do otherwise (which they wouldnt,
they're very clueful)

What I *am* saying is what realistic conditions I am under regarding
what I can do about rejecting mail from elsewhere. If we took the full
hard-line attitude on this, we might end up losing enough customers over
time that we would no longer be able to afford to pay for bandwidth and
servers upon which we would get to set the policy.

On my *personal* host, I am fully prepared to reject mail if I do a
callback and the host doesnt like null sender. I could never do that on
the ISP servers I run, unless I decided I wanted a lot of paying
customers to cancel.