RE: [Exim] Newbie SMTP/ISP-Problem ...

Autor: Exim Users Mailing List
A: drees
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Assumpte: RE: [Exim] Newbie SMTP/ISP-Problem ...
[ On Tuesday, September 24, 2002 at 14:11:25 (-0500), Steve Drees wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: [Exim] Newbie SMTP/ISP-Problem ...
>
> > > BTW, there is an RFC on how to do delegations that dont align with a IP
> > > dot boundry. Search google for it and forward a copy to your ISP. Its
> > > about 5+ years old, long enough for any competent ISP to be able to
> > > support.
> >
> > I know, and I did.
>
> A competent sysadmin wouldn't implement that RFC because it is fundamentally
> broken.

I don't know how you compare competent sysadmins with competent
hostmasters, but I know many competent hostmasters who have implemented
RFC 2317, and with good results. It is in no way "fundamentally broken".
(not everyone uses the same separator character, but that's irrelevant)

The only place there's anything broken with this concept is as
documented in §5.3 w.r.t. some VERY old beta releases of BIND 4.9.3, and
those people still using those releases deserve such breakage anyway,
should they ever encounter a situation where their broken software tries
to resovlve a PTR for a zone delegated in the manner suggested in RFC 2317.

--
                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods@???>;           <woods@???>
Planix, Inc. <woods@???>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <woods@???>