Re: [Exim] Newbie SMTP/ISP-Problem ...

Autor: Dave C.
A: James P. Roberts
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Newbie SMTP/ISP-Problem ...
On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, James P. Roberts wrote:

[..]

> <snip>
> > The name of the server does not need to match the domain of the email
> > addresses it handles.
>
> Precisely the point I was trying to make. You said it much better than
> I did, though.

Have you encountered servers blocking you becuase of this? That would be
insane - I'm not aware of anything which recommends requiring this
match.

> <snip>
> >*Many* ISP's use lists of dynamic IP pools to block mail. If your IP's
> >are listed in one of the lists of 'dynamic/dialup' blocks, and your IPs
> >are NOT dynamic, you should contact the maintainer of that list and let
> >them know. (Or possibly if your ISP provided that information to the
> >list, ask your ISP to request that it be updated)
>
> Not a dial-up, not using dynamic IPs, and I haven't encountered this
> particular problem (yet). But your point is very valid.
>
> > *Some* people running mailservers require the name you give in a HELO to
> > resolve via a forard lookup to the IP address you are talking to them
> > from. This shouldnt be that hard to do.
>
> Not hard at all, and my server would pass this test.
>
> > *Some* people running mailservers require the HELO name to match, AND
> > require forward and reverse DNS for that name to match. Obviously you
> > cant do this unless you can get your ISP to give you a handle on your
> > in-addr lookups..
>
> Precisely why I am unhappy with my ISP, and hope to upgrade. My point
> here is mainly that many people do not have control over this, and thus
> using it as a test to reject email is probably not a good idea.

Well, actually most operations with dedicated connectivity do (hence my
comments regarding your ISP as incompetent) and AFAIK, very few people
do actually do reverse/forward checking to this degree. There are a few
somewhat notable people who do, and they have posted here. I think the
server that the FreeBSD list runs on might require it too.