Re: [Exim] Newbie SMTP/ISP-Problem ...

Autor: Leonardo Boselli
A: James P. Roberts, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Newbie SMTP/ISP-Problem ...
On 22 Sep 2002, at 13:38, James P. Roberts wrote:
> > > I run a small web and email hosting service. My ISP provides me
> > > with a very small block of static IP's. I run my own DNS servers.
> > > HOWEVER, I cannot get my ISP to properly delegate reverse DNS
> > > lookups. (Huge sigh). A reverse DNS on my IP gets a single valid
> > > response, which is some made-up name provided by the ISP. With me
> > > so far?

a very small is probabli less tha 254 addresses.
Since reverse lookup is done in batches of 256 addresses the
reverse delegation if for a group of customers.
So unless you cannot get a full calss C subnet, you cannot get
your reverse.
The reverse lookup should be made then in this way: get the
declared address, than make a reverse lookup. if this lead to
another hostname do a direct lookup on this other name , if at least
for this reverse and forward correpond, it is all ok.

Leonardo Boselli
nucleo informatico e telematico
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile
Universita` di Firenze