Re: [Exim] Frozen delivery failure notifications (invalid se…

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Toralf Lund
CC: Exim Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Frozen delivery failure notifications (invalid sender) - again
On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Toralf Lund wrote:

> 59m  3.4K 17tRfs-00vg6d-00 <> *** frozen ***
>            users002@???

There's been an absolute orgy recently of some abuser presenting a
username of users002 at all kinds of email domains.

We see these addresses in our rejection logs, and you can see them at
google groups:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&as_drrb=q&q=users002++group%3Anews.admin.net-abuse.*&as_qdr=m

> Has anyone seen anything similar? Note that the address is always
> the same (users002@???)

Haven't seen that specific one, but we've refused plenty of similar
ones. If the mail was relayed by a third party then presumably that
third party would have composed a non-delivery report to the
envelope-sender on the basis of our rejection. The JANET abuse folks
call it "collateral spam" http://www.ja.net/mail/junk/collateral.html
which seems apt.

good luck