Re: [Exim] Frozen delivery failure notifications (invalid se…

Author: Toralf Lund
To: Tabor J. Wells
CC: Toralf Lund, Exim Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Frozen delivery failure notifications (invalid sender) - again
[ ... ]

> > Questions:
> > 1. Does anyone have any idea about how I can figure out what where the
> > failed messages actually come from.
>
> Look at the message? (exim -Mvb 17tRfs-00vg6d-00)

Yes, I'm looking at the headers of the bounced messages, trying to find a
pattern, but it's not very easy ;-/ (I certainly see different sender IP
addresses.)

> > 2. Has anyone seen anything similar? Note that the address is always
> the
> > same (users002@???)
>
> Happens frequently. Spammers will forge addresses all the time so the
> bounces are someone else's problem.

Quite. What I think is funny here, is that virtually all the bounce
messages we get (and we do get a lot, these days) have the same address
(users002@???.)

> > 3. Is there a simple way to block the error reports? (If all else
> fails;
> > these messages themselves
>
> RTFM receiver_verify
> If you reject during the SMTP session with "No such user" or whatever,
> then
> these messages will not freeze on your queue.

I'll have a look...

- T