Re: [Exim] Frozen delivery failure notifications (invalid se…

Author: Tabor J. Wells
To: Toralf Lund
CC: Exim Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Frozen delivery failure notifications (invalid sender) - again
On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 02:57:58PM +0200,
Toralf Lund <toralf@???> is thought to have said:

> I have mentioned this before, but...
>
> The mail queue on our main MX keeps filling up with entries of the form:
>

> 59m  3.4K 17tRfs-00vg6d-00 <> *** frozen ***
>           users002@???

> Closer inspection shows that the corresponding message is a delivery
> failure report from some mail server. The messages are frozen because
> there is no such user here. I'm fairly sure that the original message did
> not originate on our network, i.e. someone outside our company must be
> faking the sender address.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Does anyone have any idea about how I can figure out what where the
> failed messages actually come from.

Look at the message? (exim -Mvb 17tRfs-00vg6d-00)

> 2. Has anyone seen anything similar? Note that the address is always the
> same (users002@???)

Happens frequently. Spammers will forge addresses all the time so the
bounces are someone else's problem.

> 3. Is there a simple way to block the error reports? (If all else fails;
> these messages themselves

RTFM receiver_verify
If you reject during the SMTP session with "No such user" or whatever, then
these messages will not freeze on your queue.

Tabor

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality