[Exim] problem with pipe transport and apostrophes in localp…

Autor: Ray Gardener
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] problem with pipe transport and apostrophes in localparts
Hello all,

I have been using a pipe transport to send messages through to spamassassin:

#passes mail to spamassassin daemon via spamc
check_spam:
driver = pipe
user = exim
group = exim
prefix =
suffix =
log_output = true
command = /usr/local/bin/spamc | /usr/local/exim/bin/exim -C /usr/local/exim/e
xim_outgoing.conf -oMr spam_checked -f $sender_address \$LOCAL_PART\@$domain
ignore_status = true
use_shell = true
path = /usr/bin:/usr/local/bin

For most mail this works ok - but there is a problem with names that include apostrophes which affect the names of some people of Irish descent. The following is the type of error I am getting logged in the main exim log file.

2002-09-09 08:37:35 17oJ6Z-0001n9-00 <fdrec@???>: check_spam transport output: exim: John.O'Connell@??? $LOCAL_PART@??? - bad address: malformed address: $LOCAL_PART@??? may not follow John.OConnell@???

The sending address would be in the format John.O'Connell@??? but the pipe seems to be stripping out the apostrophe and somehow the following components of the pipe command aren't fully expanded.

Can anyone advise how I rectify this?

Regards

Ray Gardener