Re: [Exim] Cyrus integration?

Autor: Matt Bernstein
A: Jeff AA
CC: 'Ade Lovett', 'Tony Finch', jerry, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Cyrus integration?
At 10:17 +0100 Jeff AA wrote:

> [...]

Ho ho. I'll never be famous as a musician, and I'll be more famous a
musician than a programmer, and more famous a programmer than a
documenter. But I will produce something; badger me till I do :)

I'm still playing, especially with getting LMTP efficient, but much of it
already just works fine. Do try my patch for LMTP over a unix socket.

>On the Cyrus front, we spent two weeks of background research and
>reading, and then about four days hands-on effort to try and get Cyrus
>rolling with Exim and our desired feature set. We probably would have
>proceeded if integrating the authentication had been straight-forward
>and felt reliable / production ready.

You can set Cyrus to just do AUTH LOGIN and AUTH PLAIN over TLS, use
pwcheck (or, of preference, saslauthd) and just not worry about all the
sasldb / MD5 / Kerberos stuff.

Otoh I bet there are plenty of sick ways to get Exim to talk straight to
SASL if you really want to. The embedded Perl interpreter springs to mind!

I think sendmail and postfix both use SASL for SMTP AUTH. I'd quite like
to Exim have the option to do this too, but not at the expense of having
the flexibility for extra non-SASL mechanisms like "SPA".

><IMHO> The difference between Cyrus and Courier is akin to the 'What's
>Right!' vs. the 'What Works!' religious debates - Cyrus has lots of
>acceptance in the OS community, but does not yet cut the mustard [aka
>not yet ready for prime time], and suffers significantly from SASL
>issues.

This sounds like FUD. It's subtler than that. I've recently had to do my
first Cyrus tape restore--it was really beautiful.

I do have problems with Cyrus, but they are largely my frustration at
inadequate documentation of such a fussy server! The Cyrus users list is
just as friendly and helpful as the Exim one though--and I'm glad the Gods
over there have thus far been merciful / patient with me.

Matt