Re: [Exim] Vacation problem exim 4.05

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Simon Alman
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Vacation problem exim 4.05
On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Simon Alman wrote:

> 2002-09-09 10:01:51 17oKQS-0002aj-00 == >User1 <user1@???>
> <user2@???> R=userforward T=address_reply defer (0): Failed to send
> message
> from address_reply transport (1)

What this means is that, when the transport tried to call another
instance of Exim to send the message, it didn't succeed. The (1) is the
value of the return code of the call to Exim. So the problem you have to
solve is why the call to Exim failed. Is there nothing on the Exim logs
about a failing incoming message?

> 2002-09-09 10:20:30 17oKQS-0002aj-00 => >User1 <user1@???>
> <user2@???> R=userforward T=address_reply
> 2002-09-09 10:20:30 17oKQS-0002aj-00 Completed
>
> It looks like the message bounced the first time but was then delivered on
> a retry - however no vacation reply was received by user1.

The comment in the code says the following:

/* If sending failed, defer to try again - but if once is set the next
try will skip, of course. However, if there were no recipients in the
message, we do not fail. */

Do you have "once" set? In that case, that is the cause of the missing
message.

> My address_reply transport is set up as follows in the config:
>
> address_reply:
>    driver = autoreply

Looks fine.

I don't really know what to suggest, other than trying with some
debugging turned on. Oh, and it might be worth checking this:

exim -bP exim_path

to ensure that Exim knows where to find itself.