Re: [Exim] 'sendmail -bs -t' sendmail compatibility

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Giles Constant
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] 'sendmail -bs -t' sendmail compatibility
On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Giles Constant wrote:

> > Sorry, what does this actually do?
>
> It starts an SMTP session through stdio, and enables 'Bcc' headers to be
> turned into recipients and allows further recipients to be added on the
> commandline.

Boggle! What an extraordinary idea.

-bs sets up an SMTP session - in SMTP, the envelope is passed using
SMTP commands.

-t says "take recipients from the headers because I can't be bothered
to set up an envelope", and is normally used when passing a message to
the MTA directly (not using SMTP).

What exactly an MTA should do with a combination of the two makes my
head spin. There are apparently THREE potential sources of recipients:
the command line, the header lines, and the SMTP RCPT commands.
Aarrgghh!!

> Doesn't help - it's the fact that the binary is calling exim with '-bs
> -t', and exim barfs with 'incompatible command-line arguments'. I can't
> modify the binary (actually, I'm contemplating overwriting the '-t' in
> the binary with spaces using a hex editor), so I'm trying modify exim.

Could it be that, for Sendmail, -t overrides -bs? In which case, you
need to override the -bs in the binary, not the -t.