Re: [Exim] rsmtp: to many processes

Autor: Joerg Sommer
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] rsmtp: to many processes
Philip Hazel schrieb :
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Joerg Sommer wrote:
>
>> I get my mails per uucp. Uucp invokes rsmtp with the mail batchesa and
>> exim delivers the mails, but not with $queue_run_max processes. Exim runs
>> 1 Process for 1 e-mail. And at me many mails are send to inn, so exim
>> invokes mailpost, and the load rises very fast until exim dies on a load
>> of 10.
>>
>> How can I prevent this? Why exim call 1 Process for 1 e-mail?
>
> Because that's the way it is designed.

Is this really a good way? With a normal batch, I have >50 exims running.
On a real server, oh..., there would be hundreds or thousands.

> You haven't posted enough about your configuration to allow me to

What do you want to know? I don't want to post my exim.conf.

> comment properly. However, I GUESS that you are firing a lot of messages
> into Exim at once, and it is creating a lot of processes to deliver

Yes.

> them. Perhaps you would get better performance if you added -odq to the
> rsmtp command. Then Exim would just receive the messages and queue them.
> After the rsmtp command, you can run "exim -q" which will then delivery
> them one by one, and so use fewer processes.

That's difficult (see the posting from Jochen). But I have the
possiblity, because there is a wraper script for rbsmtp. There I have
placed -odq and a call 'exim -q'. I will see if it works, but a good
solution it isn't.

Joerg.