Re: [Exim] rsmtp: to many processes

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Joerg Sommer
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] rsmtp: to many processes
On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Joerg Sommer wrote:

> I get my mails per uucp. Uucp invokes rsmtp with the mail batchesa and
> exim delivers the mails, but not with $queue_run_max processes. Exim runs
> 1 Process for 1 e-mail. And at me many mails are send to inn, so exim
> invokes mailpost, and the load rises very fast until exim dies on a load
> of 10.
>
> How can I prevent this? Why exim call 1 Process for 1 e-mail?

Because that's the way it is designed.

You haven't posted enough about your configuration to allow me to
comment properly. However, I GUESS that you are firing a lot of messages
into Exim at once, and it is creating a lot of processes to deliver
them. Perhaps you would get better performance if you added -odq to the
rsmtp command. Then Exim would just receive the messages and queue them.
After the rsmtp command, you can run "exim -q" which will then delivery
them one by one, and so use fewer processes.