Re: [Exim] "#" on the end of email address

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Rachel Moore
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] "#" on the end of email address
On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Rachel Moore wrote:

> Earlier, a user accidentally put a "#" on the end of an email
> address in the To: field, which made Exim 3.36 do the following:
>
> 2002-08-09 13:10:34 queue run: process 17081 crashed with signal
> 11 while delivering 17d8ZN-0004QP-00

I cannot reproduce this trivially. Neither with nor without the use of
-t on the Exim command line.

> bash-2.05a# exim -Mrm 17d8ZN-0004QP-00
> Bus error

That suggests the spool file got screwed up.

> I had to manually remove the message from the spool, after which
> everything was OK again.

Did you save the message? That is, the -H file?

> With Exim 4.05, the # just results in the last letter of the email
> address being removed, e.g.
>
> To: rachel@???#
>
>   rachel@???
>     Unrouteable address

Exactly how did you submit this message? Remember that # is a character
that is significant to shells...