Re: [Exim] Exim + Debian + Squirrelmail

Autor: Glen Mehn
A: Amir Zangeneh (NTNU)
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim + Debian + Squirrelmail

Amir Zangeneh (NTNU) wrote:
> --
> Hi
>
> I've been reading exim manual,docs,mailinlist. But there are several things that still remains unclear.
>
> 1.
> ------Goal:------
>
> I'm currently trying to setup a mailserver on my debian machine, for the purpose of (only-real-)users being able to login from a external location and recieve/send mail. (I have bought my own hostname with own mail@??? so the domain part is ok). An exampel of my intention is that (real-)user foo can fill out his outlook express pop/smtp with mydomian.org and be able to send/reciev mail.
>
> --Carried out:---
> I have installed apache, exim , squirrelmail, courier-imap. Tested to send mail with outlook express using serverdomain as mailserver.
>
> ---Problem:----
> I cannot make exim deliver mail to outlook express users.

Debian's exim package default delivery mechanism is to deliver to
/var/spool/mail/$local_part in mbox format. Courier-imap needs the files
in Maildir format, so have a look at how to configure exim to deliver to
Maildir format (docs at http://www.exim.org/). Last I checked, Maildir
was compiled in to debian's exim package, but ymmv.

> I cannot make SMTP AUTH work. The documentation referse to local/Makefile all the time, but I did not compile exim myself. I did apt-get exim. And I cannot find documentation who tels me how to do things with using /etc/exim.conf.

Some exim options are compile-time options. Have a look in
/usr/share/doc/exim and see what's compiled in -- the last time I
looked, I don't think that smtp auth was compiled in, which would leave
your options to either:

--compile exim from source (which will break some of the dpkg/apt
functionality), or build a .deb from source, which won't. Instructions
on how do to this are beyond the scope of this mailing list, but you
might try the debian documentation and debian-user@???.

> 2.
>
> ---Goal:----
> After, hopefully, having managed (1) I intend to setup a web-mail for the same users. So the can login from the web. I have already setup squirrelmail.

You might look at sqwebmail, which is written by the same author as
courier-imap.

> Problem:
> But then agian I cannot make exim deliver incoming mail to /home/user/Maildir , in maildir-format (did maildirmake), by configurating /etc/exim.conf

Not sure what's going on here. Perhaps posting the relevant sections of
your exim configuration file?

Hope that this points you to the docs that you need,

glen

--
Glen Mehn
glen at burningman dot com    at zerowaitstate dot com    at doofdoof dot com