[Exim] SMTP client authentication for several users

Autor: Jerome Acks Jr
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] SMTP client authentication for several users
My ISP is changing its email system to now require SMTP authentication so I
am reconfiguring exim 3.35 to use SMTP client-side authentication. Several
people use the computer, and each has his own email account with
the ISP. The computer has a DSL connection and runs 24/7.

I am somewhat of a newbie with exim and would like some advice on how to
best do this.

I built a file of uid's and ISP usernames and passwords with lines like:

1000:    ^username1^password1
1001:    ^username2^password2

The file's uid.gid is set to mail.mail and mode 0640. This matches
exim's euid.egid on Debian GNU/Linux testing, which is the computer's
OS.

The Authentication Configuration section of exim config file includes
this:

plain:
driver = plaintext
public_name = PLAIN
client_send = "${lookup{$originator_uid}lsearch{/etc/exim/smtp-passwd}{$value}}"

This setup looks like it work correctly.

Is there a better way to do this?

Please cc me in your reply as I am not a member of the list.

TIA
--
Jerome