[Exim] Problem with :fail: in alias files, Exim 4.05 and 4.1…

Autor: John Robinson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Problem with :fail: in alias files, Exim 4.05 and 4.10
The Exim spec, for both 4.05 and 4.10, says near the end of section 21.6:

Any text following :fail: or :defer: is
placed in the error text associated with the failure. For example, an alias
file might contain:
X.Employee: :fail: Gone away, no forwarding address
In the case of an address that is being verified for the SMTP RCPT or VRFY
commands, the text is
included in the SMTP error response, which has a 451 code for a :defer:
failure, and 550 for
:fail:. In other cases the text is included in the error message that Exim
generates.

Only, the text doesn't appear in the SMTP errors for me in 4.05 or 4.10. It
turns up in the reject log and when I say `exim -bt` or `exim -bv` all
right, but I want it in the SMTP error, so that it'll appear in the bounce
messages produced by the originating SMTP server. Currently I just get "550
user unknown". I've had a good look over the manual otherwise, but I
presume I missed something - like an option to turn verbose SMTP errors on
or something. Here's my router:

virtual:
driver = redirect
domains = +virtual_domains
allow_fail
data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch*{/etc/exim/virtual/$domain}}
no_more

And in my /etc/exim/virtual/$domain file, what I want to do is:

Current.Employee : :fail: Address no longer in use due to too much spam; if
you are a real human being please try again replacing Current.Employee with
My.New.Email.Address in the address you used

or something like that!

Cheers,

John.

--
John Robinson    23 Dundas Street, Edinburgh EH3 6QQ, UK. Tel +44 7771 784058
These are my opinions, even if they are wrong              or +44 131 5575796