Re: [Exim] [exim 3.31] strange retry behavior

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] [exim 3.31] strange retry behavior
On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Marc Haber wrote:

> But every setup I have seen has a "*" retry rule, so it can always
> find a retry rule for the host.

No, as I said, it isn't quite like that. Let me quote the manual to you
again:

However, when looking for a retry rule
after a remote delivery attempt has failed (for example, a connection
timeout), each line in the retry configuration is first tested against the
remote host name, and then against the domain name in the address. For
example, if the MX records for "a.b.c.example" are

That is, as it searches the retry rules, it asks "does this rule match
the host?" and if the answer is "no", it then asks "does this rule match
the domain?". Only if the answer is "no" to that as well does it go on
to the next rule.

> >For
> >example, if the MX records for "a.b.c.example" are
> >
> >  a.b.c.example  MX  5  x.y.z.example
> >                 MX  6  p.q.r.example
> >                 MX  7  m.n.o.example

> >and the retry rules are
> >
> >  p.q.r.example    *      F,24h,30m;
> >  a.b.c.example    *      F,4d,45m;

> >then failures to deliver to host "p.q.r.example" use the first rule to
> >determine retry times, but for all the other hosts for the domain
> >"a.b.c.example", the second rule is used, and that rule is also used if
> >routing to "a.b.c.example" suffers a temporary failure.
>
> Would it be the same for the retry rules
> a.b.c.example    *      F,4d,45m;
> p.q.r.example    *      F,24h,30m;

> Would failures to deliver to host p.q.r.example use the second rule
> as well?

No, because the first rule would match the domain.

Philip