Re: [Exim] [exim 3.31] strange retry behavior

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] [exim 3.31] strange retry behavior
On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 09:16:32 +0100 (BST), Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:
>On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Marc Haber wrote:
>> and my exim has retry settings both for domain1.example.com and
>> mx.domain2.example.com, the setting for mx.domain2.example.com will be
>> used for mail to localpart@????
>
>The setting for mx.domain2.example.com will be used for host failures
>when delivering to the host mx.domain2.example.com, for any domain. (In
>other words, "yes, for that particular host".)
>Suppose there is a second MX record
>
> domain1.example.com IN MX 20 mx2.domain2.example.com
>
>Exim will go on to try that. If it also fails, Exim will look for a
>retry rule for mx2.domain2.example.com. If it can't find one, it will
>then use the retry rule for domain1.example.com.
>
>In other words, if Exim suffers a temporary host error, it looks for a
>retry rule for the host. If it can't find one, it looks for a retry rule
>for the domain.

But every setup I have seen has a "*" retry rule, so it can always
find a retry rule for the host.

>For
>example, if the MX records for "a.b.c.example" are
>
>  a.b.c.example  MX  5  x.y.z.example
>                 MX  6  p.q.r.example
>                 MX  7  m.n.o.example

>and the retry rules are
>
>  p.q.r.example    *      F,24h,30m;
>  a.b.c.example    *      F,4d,45m;

>then failures to deliver to host "p.q.r.example" use the first rule to
>determine retry times, but for all the other hosts for the domain
>"a.b.c.example", the second rule is used, and that rule is also used if
>routing to "a.b.c.example" suffers a temporary failure.

Would it be the same for the retry rules
a.b.c.example    *      F,4d,45m;
p.q.r.example    *      F,24h,30m;

Would failures to deliver to host p.q.r.example use the second rule
as well?

Greetings
Marc