RE: [Exim] SPAM filtering

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: John W Baxter
To: exim-users
Betreff: RE: [Exim] SPAM filtering
At 16:01 +0100 7/18/2002, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>About the only ways of keeping a mailbox spam free at present are:-
>
>  1. Use a completely blocked domain - ie all MX and A records
>     point to 127.0.0.1

> 2. Use TMDA - http://tmda.net/
>
>In both cases the solution may be worse than the problem.

From the end user (customer) viewpoint, I've been playing with MailArmor in
a heavily-spammed account for the past couple of days, replacing the
Spamfire I was playing with. (I keep the account for nostalgia
reasons...it became my address in 1993; I ditched a slightly less-old one
recently for being 110% spam.)

http://www.mailarmor.nl/

Java program for Mac OS, Mac OS X, Windows; Linux; Unix; sets itself up as
a POP3 proxy between one's client (tested with Eudora for Mac OS X) and the
POP3 or IMAP server (should anyone actually want to convert IMAP to POP).
Leaves the suspect messages on the server; looks at the headers and does
scoring based on them. Deletes problem messages from server under
user-settable rules; can send email to user listing messages blocked if
desired. User configurable rules (which I haven't messed with yet).
Blacklist/whitelist. Free for personal use with one account. Not for
"Aunt Sally" as the setup is non-trivial.

So far, so good, after changing one IMHO incorrect default setting (being
on SpamCop's blacklist gets a score high enough to trigger immediate
deletion).

---

IMHO, user control is key to doing server-level SPAM control successfully.
Or having only one sort of user; one wants to avoid getting to that point
by driving the others away.

--John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@???      Port Ludlow, WA, USA