RE: [Exim] Re: SPAM filtering

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Jeffrey Wheat
To: Derrick 'dman' Hudson, exim-users
Betreff: RE: [Exim] Re: SPAM filtering
Derrick,

    Spam Assassin has cost me a large number of headaches. We have tried to use it a number of times which only resulted in customers getting extremely irate about how we are altering their emails. It causes a busy server to drive cpu load up through the roof, resulting in poor performance and lost email when the server begins to reject mail due to system loads.

    Most importantly, the idea is to STOP spam, not just put a tag on it telling my customers that the mail they are looking at is possibly spam. They do not want to see that. They do not want to have to download hundreds of emails over a modem line (yes, we still have many thousands of modem users) so their email client can delete it based on one rule alone. This is where the problem in fact lies. Not simply making an already obvious observation that an email is spam and tagging as such.

    Tools like exiscan do exactly what a virus tool should do. It stops it. It doesn't put a tag on it telling a customer that "hey you got a virus". It stops it and the customer never sees it. It doesn't kill my mail server by spawning perl processes for each mail arriving. Tools for spam should do exactly that as well. Integrated into exim using local_scan, stop spam instead of simply tagging it.

    I am sure that spam assassin is a great solution for a number of sites, but for a busy ISP, it is simply too resource hungry and results in far too many complaints from customers.

Jeff