Re: [Exim] Re: [Heads up] W32/Yaha.E p

Autor: Alan J. Flavell
A: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
CC: Exim users list
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Re: [Heads up] W32/Yaha.E p
On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

> (also, note the commonality in all those products -- they are for
> exchange)

Which brings us right back to the point: it isn't the defence
mechanism that is crappy: it's the target software that it's trying to
protect.

> I guess the best psuedo-filter is
> one that first identifies the MIME type as being HTML,

Absolutely not. As long as the sick patient that we are trying to
protect continues its habit of disregarding the MIME type and guessing
for itself, we are doomed to having to do the same.[1]

Unless I could get every single one of our users dismissed who
attempts to use MIME-disregarding software (and RC2616-disregarding
software on the web) - (which seems more than a little unlikely),
we're stuck with this, unfortunately.

ttfn

[1] Yes, yes, I know if we could get rid of those easy targets it
wouldn't cure the whole problem - we'd still be left with the hard
targets, but at least there would be fewer of them, and I think less
likely to turn into an ILY-style chain reaction.